Thursday, May 27, 2010

Memorial Day

I am a military child or as we are fondly known as, a military brat; with that title comes responsibility. To honor all soldiers who fought in wars from our past until today. Those men and women who watch over us while we sleep and those who sacrificed their lives so we can live ours in peace.

I was born into it, I grew up in it and I am better for it. I honor it because my hero, my dad, was a lifer. He was a young punk who didn't know where he was going or what to do, so he joined the Navy at 18. He learned courage, honor and to be dependable and ended his military career after 20 years. He wanted to do more so he continued this career in the Civil Service, first with the Navy then the Army, for 22 years. He did this so that he could continue to help his comrades on active duty, who still fought for and protected us.

When my dad died, I had to go through his paperwork, arrange his funeral, and everything else that went into losing a loved one, more when you have a loved one that was in the military the full term. It was one of the hardest thing for me to do as I was laying my hero to rest. I miss him every day but I know he is with me in spirit when I need him.

While going through his military paperwork, I found that my father had been awarded the Bronze Star for his part in the Vietnam War aboard the USS Aludra. He never made a request for the medal (which is what you do to actually get it) so we never knew about it until after he passed. That was my dad. He just did his job honestly and as honorably as he could without fanfare. He didn't need awards to know inside that he did his best. He was a true American Hero.

That is what I grew up with. At times, I rebelled because that certain way of life for military kids and the responsibility that goes with it. I didn't want that but in hind sight, it was a good education for me and that is why I am very patriotic. I am one of those that will stop a soldier to thank them, anytime I see one. I live in a military town so I see them a lot here. LOL They appreciate that I do that and I want them to know that I appreciate them from the bottom of my heart.

With Memorial Day coming this Monday, I wanted to remember my hero and his brothers who also served. I know that these days, Memorial Day means that summer is starting but for me, it has a deeper meaning. There are those who are not home because they are in another country fighting for our right to enjoy all the BBQs, parties and fun times we get with family and friends.

I hope that each of you will take a moment, send out a prayer to all those who are not at home and if you cross the path of a soldier, stop him or her and thank them for their services and sacrifices.












































































I hope your weekend is filled with many delights and as you start your Memorial Day celebrations, always know that we cannot take our freedom and the peace we have for granted. For the history and/or information on the holiday, check this link: Memorial Day.

Namaste







In memory of the three Kerlin men who served. Thank you and rest in peace, brothers.


Uncle Bill, left (Army)
Dad (Dave), middle (Navy)
Uncle Eddie, right (Army)


Circa 1954, boys are home for the holidays in Pittsburgh, PA

2 comments:

  1. You're welcome, Brian and thank you kindly for your comment. Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete