Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

There are all kinds of moms in the world. Some kids get along with their moms really well, some don't and some don't even care to know theirs anymore. Regardless of your situation, you are here because of her.

I have been lucky to be born with a mother who cares. She not only cares about her own kids but other as well. Our house was always the one the kids came to because she would feed all of us and we could hang out and feel comfortable. It still is that way. People ask about her, how she is doing or how much they miss her cooking, if they haven't seen her in a while. She was truly the mother of all mothers. She is my Goddess.

Sure, growing up, I had my issues with my mom as she was the one that was around all the time, even when she worked as much as she did while my dad was out to sea in the Navy. During my tween years, it got worse but nothing serious. Dad ended up being station in Japan and worked his Navy job on the base (no more out to sea duty) but also worked a party time job at night to support his family. My mom worked a full time job during the day and then would hang out with my dad at his job at night as it was at the social club.

I smoked and I drank because I was able to get away with it being taller than the average adult female in Japan. Hell, I had no problem buying anything because back then, cigarettes, beer and sa-ke was sold in vending machine. Throw it in our backpacks and off we go. As kids living on a military base that had tons of empty old barracks we could hang out in and we learned to hide our gatherings from a lot of people. Trust me, we learned to hide them good. Party time!

Most of our parents were always so busy hanging out with other parents that we could go most places that were isolated and no one would bother us for hours; not even the Shore Patrol (military cops). As long as I was home at the allotted time and my grades were good, I was left alone to be with friends. Being a straight A student from elementary to high school, that was easy.

But my mom was a tough woman and took a lot of what I dished out and gave it to me three folds. Guess I learned not to mess with the momma! As I grew up and left home, it was more apparent what she taught me, help me to get through my life thus far. We still talk almost every day and when I hang out with her for a weekend every month, we have some intense conversations about life and what she has seen or how life has changed her mind now that she is in her late 70's.

Being a mom now, I learned that it is hard work to raise your kid to be respectful, responsible and loyal, etc but also to show them how to find their individuality and blaze their own path. I brought her into this world so it was my job to makes sure when she left our home, she was a good person with good moral values.

As a married lady now, my daughter's next chapter is motherhood and I know that she will make a wonderful mom because she knows the work involved and will dedicate herself to her kids.

Whatever your circumstances, thank the woman that gave you life and be grateful for what you have today.

To all mothers who give of themselves to their kids and to others, may you have a wonderful day and may all the blessings in life be yours.

Sending gratitude and loving energy to my mother and to all mothers.

Hope you feel better, mom and got plenty of sleep to get rid of that bug! I love you!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment