Saturday, October 30, 2010

Therapeutic Halloween

It is that time of year that adults can revert back to being a kid and get dressed up with a fun place to go party.

I read an article recently in the American Journal of Psychology about how people age. It said that adults who don't take time to play age faster than those who do. They don't mean sports, going to the gym or playing music but playing in the park with your kids, kick ball, running around silly or just flying a kite kind of play; watching cartoons, playing silly or funny board games.

I thought, great, I am on the right track. I still do all that even though my daughter is all grown up and married. Luckily, I have three nieces and a nephew to use as a cover. Hahahaha! Yeah, even my mom calls me the silly, crazy auntie but in an affectionate way. Hey, I got it from her so she gets the concept.

My mom is going to be 77 in December but she still walks tall (for a "short shit" as my dad used to call her), has a sharp mind, drives all the time, goes out with her friends, plays with the grandkids and travels all over the world so having that attitude has helped her to extend her life and not be bedridden or in need of a walker to get around.

So as adults we take one holiday and use that to the fullest, then what? It's done until the next year. What if we took that attitude of the one day and incorporated into our lives all the time and do the good fun as kids do to keep young? How we will slow the aging process and do things that are important for longevity. Enjoy and be intrigued by the little things in life, like bugs and watching bubbles pop, giggle and making silly faces, and most important, laugh all the time.

Think about it as you get dressed up tonight and enjoy your evening. It's a fun feeling to have so why not have it all the time?

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment