Friday, October 29, 2010

Ah... Musical Memories...

There are two songs that keep coming back to me and takes me back to my early 20's.

First song is Hold On by one of my favorite bands, Santana.  The song was released August 1982 and as much as I loved the album, this song kept playing in my head. I played it so much that I know I was driving my friends crazy. LOL! Being that I grew up in Santana's backyard, outside of San Francisco, naturally I heard a lot of them on local radio stations in high school.

I lived in Connecticut when the song came out, but it wasn't a huge deal being a Santana fan there. I managed to convert a few friends with my Black Magic Woman ways. Hahahaha! My husband, at the time, was not a big fan but he liked music almost as much as I did, so he listened to it.

The song got to me because it was about finally having someone getting through to you with their love, you finally get to know what love really is but too late as the person is gone. It is about not letting love go and holding on for another chance to make things right.

The irony was that I was married a year, already wondering if I had made the right choice. I was not sure I was in love with him, though I cared deeply for him. Was it enough? I guess the song hit a cord within me.

This is in the Top 5 of favorite Santana songs... my favorite?  Europa (Earth's Cry, Heaven's Smile).




Second song is Every Breath You Take by The Police. Remember when the song came out? I do. It was 1983, I was 22 years old and still listening to Hold On by Santana.

It was, quite possibly, my all time favorite song for the next 5 years. Weird how it still has the power to grab a hold of me and remind me of the first time I heard it and how it made me feel. I am sure there were others who loved this song as much as I did. But to me, it was an intimate experience listening to the song. Still is, actually.

I heard the song driving to work and it took my breath away. I had to go buy it. I got home and played it all the way through once. Then that song got played over and over, so you can imagine my poor husband back then. I remember him shaking his head as he picked up his harmonica and going down to the basement to practice with his buddies. I fell in love with the stand up bass then and there.

For me, even though I was married, it conjured the man that I dreamed I would married when I was growing up. He would love me no matter what and would desperately need me to be with him. It was him singing those words to me. Yeah, he would be a stalker of mine. LOL!


"Every breath you take, every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'll be watching you."

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment