Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

Because of my move and having a chance to purge, I am going through my stuff every day to purge and pack. It has been an interesting process to go through and see the things I kept, for whatever reason.

One box is special as it has a lot of my daughter's school years papers and artwork which I know I will keep. Other boxes had various goodies and memories that I opened and started to go through. I found one that contained old Valentine's cards from guys that I dated or wanted to date from years ago as well as old pictures that were over 10 years old. Made me realize that I didn't always give some of the guys I knew a chance when they asked me out.

Going through them brought back some good memories that made me smile. Some of the stuff I had are only a couple years old and the pictures gave way to nostalgic smiles as well as some sad tears. Still hard to throw them away but I know I should to rid of the memories especially as I am moving to where some of them happened. Ah, the memories on Sullivan "Street"...

Being a single gal on Valentine's Day, I decided not to look through any boxes today but to enjoy the day watching movies, knitting or whatever I wanted to do since I am not working.

As I like to do, I played DJ on Facebook again but not all the songs were happy love songs, like J. Geils Band's Love Stinks. That one got a few text messages from my friends to stop. My response... "No way, I'm on a roll. Muahahaha!"

Dinner was interesting. A single friend called late morning and said not to make dinner. He was making dinner for his single friends so he stopped by and dropped off three to-go containers in various sizes around 5pm.

The first was a small salad; the entree was garlic shrimp scampi, rice pilaf and steamed veggies. And the third had the most delicous slice of chocolate cake that he baked and called Death by Triple Chocolate. How sweet of him to do that.

It's funny but I know so many single people that are down in the dumps because they had to celebrate today alone but I loved it. I like my own company and not afraid to be alone as a lot of people are. I feel pity for those who cannot be alone and are desperate to find someone to be in their lives. I learned that we all need time to know how to be alone so that we can give ourselves that gift to learn who we are. That way when we find that special someone, we can cherish that person for who they are and give them their time and space to be alone when it is needed.

Whatever you did today, I hope it was filled with love with that special person and more importantly, for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment