Sunday, November 7, 2010

Wonderful Time of the Year

I love this time of year! And yes, I am one of those that is already listening to Christmas music and enjoying the excitement that comes every holiday season. I even have my signature holiday necklace on so my friends are shaking their heads in mirth. My sparkly snowflake! Hee hee!

I mean, aren’t we basically already in the season now that Halloween is over? I have a lot of gatherings that I have been invited to and since December is so busy, most people have started them now in November. It’s a way to expand the fun and enjoy more of the season. A time when family and friends are converging together, making memories and enjoying each others’ company.

Only way to make it better is to have snow and a fireplace but that will be next holiday season as I should be settle in Connecticut. I mean I will be there soon but the holidays will be over so it won’t be the same.

I think I love this time of year so much is because how people change a bit to be kinder, gentler and friendlier; more willing to help others and be more open. That excitement and the feelings we had as kids, returns as we are reminded that Santa is watching out for the naughty or nice kids. But remember, nice with a little naughty is very good… ha-ha!

I wish I could bottle up the feelings of the season and pass it out when it is in the middle of the summer and tempers are at a boiling point, weather and people-wise. I think people fall into a rhythm of nature and mimic it. Kind of like, hot weather, hot tempers; cold weather, cooler temperaments.

I hope that you can be filled with the energy of this time of year. Enjoy as you watch kids as their eyes light up with anticipation. Take that feeling with you every day as you go about your business. Pass that feeling on and see how it can change another person’s perspective of the day. Smile at someone and show them they matter. You don’t know how you, one person, can affect another life.

Did you know that the holiday season is the number one time when people commit suicide because if they are alone, feel lonely and feel they don’t have anyone or anywhere to turn, it seems to be the viable way out of their misery? Can you imagine if your smile to one person that was feeling that way in that moment, changed how they felt, could affect the outcome of their life? It is something to ponder.

One thing I am doing is changing how my nieces and nephew think of the Christmas. They always think presents, presents and more presents but they have so much that they are on material overload. This year, I am spending a day with each one individually to give them my time and focus on them on their day. We are doing an activity and lunch of their choice rather than buying a toy they won’t use after a few days. It gives them a chance to see another way to spend the holidays besides opening presents.

My oldest niece, who is 9, wants to go with me to volunteer at a soup kitchen for the homeless at Thanksgiving. I am glad that we talk all the time about what we can do to make a difference in the world. Even though she is too young, as I believe she has to be 12, the mere fact that she wants to do it, means a lot. My little Gemini, she is so precious. We are very close and have some pretty intense conversations, even at her age. She amazes me with her generous heart and soul, her gentleness with people and her amazing light that shines out of her. It is never too early to teach kids about spirituality. She loves to talk about it and even at her young age, the things that she thinks about and shares is a learning experience for me.

I hope that each day is filled with light and love and you are in a place to enjoy the moments with family and friends with abundance and joy.

Now before you leave, take time to think of how you can make your holiday season the best ever, not just for others but for you!

It IS the most wonderful time of the year!  YAY!!!



I am truly blessed to have you all in my life, even though I don't know you all personally, I am very grateful you stop and read my blog. If I can make a tiny difference in one person's life, it does my soul good.

My cup runneth over.

Now go out and enjoy the season and pass on the light!

No comments:

Post a Comment