Thursday, March 3, 2011

Happy Girls Day!

Today, March 3rd, is considered Children's Day or more specific, Girls Day in Japan. It is a holiday that was always celebrated in our home because my parents had three girls. My mother has the traditional dolls with the 5 tier display. It was the day we all wore our special silk kimonos that were hand sewn, went to the temple to pray with gratitude with all that we had and received all kinds of money and special candy from family.

When I did traditional Japanese dancing, I had to dance to the song one time, which was lots of fun as a kid. Below is the song and a picture of the typical set up of the 5 tier display. These days they can range from $2500 to $15,000 depending on the type of porcelain that the dolls are made from and if real silk is used for the dolls clothes. They are all hand sewn.

I put the 7 tier display at the bottom after the song.

The one my mom has is 45 years old and my daughter will inherit it when my mom gets too old to display it. Which is perfect. My daughter was born on March 3rd so there are always two wonderful celebrations in my household.







No comments:

Post a Comment