Thursday, April 28, 2011

Life's Twisted Journey

I get these daily emails from "The Universe" and I enjoy reading them as it reminds me that no matter where I am in life, even during rough times, life and the experiences can be fun, enlightening, loving and filled with wonderment. The site is: TUT. Check it out and sign up for the same emails I get but is personalized with your name.

For whatever reason, yesterday's message really spoke to me  but I wanted to take some time to let it sink and and give it some thought before I started to write as I knew this would be a topic I wanted to blog about.

In life, Anni, you can only ever be scared, when you believe in limits.

You can only ever feel lonely, when you stop doing things.

You can only ever become bored, when you no longer follow your heart.

And you can only ever get overwhelmed, when you think the illusions are real.

Whew! Who knew it could be so easy to get back on track?

The Universe

And usually, Anni, it only ever seems hard, when you rush yourself.

Why I related to it so much hit me today, while I was doing my three-hour training at the gym. Three hours gives you a lot of time to think especially when you are running on the treadmill.

We all limit ourselves. We make ourselves believe we cannot do things. And that causes us to be afraid. Scared to try new things. Scared to follow our dreams. But the fact of the matter is, it is mind over matter. We tell ourselves we can do something and we give it a go, we find it was a lot easier than our mind told us it was.

My huge limitation recently was moving. I wanted to move but mentally I kept telling myself excuses. My mom needs me. My daughter needs me. My sisters need me. WTF? They are all grown up and I can do what I want. So I finally took that first step and reserved a truck, then gave notice at my apartment in Cali. After that, it got easier and easier and things fell into place. Amazing fast, in fact. When you stop limiting yourself, the world opens up.

Example number two just came an hour ago by email. I saw this posting on FB about an opening for a journalist for this site that has writers in towns  and cities across the country. My first reaction was, "no, I can't do that" then I had to stop and say, "yes, I can." So I sent the guy an email and we went back and forth for a day trading emails. Guess who got the job? Me!

You do get lonely when you stop doing things because what you do is stay home and hide. You surround yourself with your walls as well as the mental walls and eventually it gets so high that no one can get in and you can't get out. I started to see myself do that and I remember the day I pulled myself out of it. It was that first step to a different path.

And I totally got the boring part. I lost my passion for everything when I had my heart broken so it pushed me into this funk, falling deeper into a place that was really boring because I didn't care about how my heart was doing because it hurt too much. I knew at some point I had to pull myself out and I did.  I had to accept what had happened, knowing that it was all one sided and let go of that pain. It felt really good to do that for myself and to be on track again. I find that now life is exciting and I have a good time, no matter where I go. I make friends much more easily now and click with people.

Illusions. The illusion that you cannot do something. The illusion that no one cares. The illusion that everything is hard. Play the victim and blame others. I know that and I was surrounding myself with people like that. Hell, the closest person to me was in a worse place than I and she was pulling me into her illusions. I had to cut myself out of it. As hard as something is, eventually you get it right and it becomes easy. You just cannot allow yourself to play the victim or martyr. The hard part of illusions is that eventually you get found out for what you really are and people turn and run.

That last line was the key... rushing yourself through a process makes you feel like things are hard. You hear people talk about doing things slow and steady. Oh yeah, it's so true. It will get done but I won't be overwhelmed by the process if I take my time and do it right. It's all a matter of perseverance. Keep plugging away.

How do you limit yourself? Do you feel lonely and alone? Are you bored with life? Do you find that you longer have dreams or goals? Do you feel overwhelmed with everything that comes your way? How can you change any of those? Sit down and write things out. That way you see them in black and white. Next to the list, write the things you can do to change your path.

Mind you, I am not saying there won't be times you fall back. Don't think of it as a failure. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back into the game.

Here is to you and all you are! Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment