Wednesday, December 8, 2010

In Memory - 30 Years Later

John Lennon October 9, 1940 - December 8, 1980
"Give peace a chance"

I remember the moment I learned that John Lennon was shot and killed.

I was in college. I had just gotten out of class that evening and was standing in the parking lot talking to a classmate about holiday plans. I was 19, I had two more classes before the end of the semester and in two weeks I would be moving to Connecticut to be with my fiance.

Another classmate yelled out from his car when he had turned on the radio. His exact words were, "oh my God, some fucking asshole killed John Lennon in front of his home in New York City."

We all ran over to his car and huddle around, listening to the radio DJ tell us how it happened. Imagine started and when John's voice came on, it was that moment we knew and people started to cry. A great musician had died and a legend was born.

I wasn't a huge Beatles fan but I like their music. When John Lennon went on his own, that is when I became a fan of his. First and foremost, his wife looked like my mom back then but they still do, actually. The women are both Japanese and grew up in the same area. To me, his music was spiritual, telling stories of life lived wrong, right, up, down and all around. I like that. Sure, there are songs that I thought were just ok but then there were songs that I absolutely love. I think it is that way with all musicians I listen to.

You always thought the great ones would live but history always tells us the opposite. So, we lost another great musician before his time.

I always liked this song but the way this video was made, it added something and the end, what he says, it hits ya.

Rest in peace, John Lennon and thank you for all the wonderful music. We have missed more of the music you could have given us for the past 30 years but the gifts you gave us lives on.


No comments:

Post a Comment