Tuesday, February 2, 2010

He Makes a Difference

The street I live on has a parcourse on it, so each morning I see different people walk, jog, or run in front of my apartment as I head to my car to go to work.

One particular man impresses me as I see him every morning, rain or shine.  He is probably in his mid-70's, has a good stride and walks with a smile every day.  One thing I always notice is that he carries a plastic bag.  My first thought when I first saw him a couple years ago was that he is walking his dog but no dog and the bag is always half full when I see him.  Perhaps he stopped and got some groceries.

Today, in my rush to get to work as I was late, I was half aware that he was walking by.  I get into my car, turn on my radio and pull out.  He walks in front of me as I get to the crosswalk of the driveway and I see the bag, then look up at him.  He's smiling and waves at me.  I wave back and smile, waiting for him to pass.  He stops just on the other side and starts to lean down so I don't move, ready to jump out, in case he was not well.

To my amazement, the man starts to pick up the trash that is scattered all around the lawn.  The trash that others who walk on that parcourse carelessly throw down.

It took the breath out of me as I watch him lean down, pick up a used bad of potato chips and place it in his bag.  He slowly picks each piece of trash up and moves forward as he sees another.  He does this as he looks around, smiling.

I couldn't move.  I couldn't put my car into gear and drive off.  I couldn't see past the tears that were blurring my eyes.

This man takes a walk for his health but he also takes his time every morning to clean the area he walks by.  His little bit made a difference of how I see the place I live at and how I will always see it.  It wasn't the city cleaners who were doing their jobs.  It was him.  Every morning.

When I realize I have been sitting there with my car on idle for a couple minutes, I wipe my eyes, look out and see that he finished picking up the trash and is crossing the street, waving at the gas station attendant, Ray, who waves back.

Today when I get home and look out my window and see the lawn; I will know that it was cleaned by him and enjoy my view thoroughly.  Tomorrow when I see him, I will stop to thank him and introduce myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment